When you make an application to the UK Border Agency for entry clearance into the United Kingdom, you may be asked to obtain an independent assessment of the number of rooms and occupants at the proposed accommodation.

The council's housing enforcement team carries out the inspection to ensure the accommodation meets health and safety standards and can safely accommodate the extra occupants.

The sponsor must provide proof the accommodation is owned/occupied exclusively by the sponsor/sponsor's family. The accommodation must also have valid gas and electrical safety certificates.

On satisfactory completion of the inspection, the council provides you with a letter to include with your application to the UK Border Agency.

The council charges a fee of £120 to carry out an immigration property inspection.

Apply for an immigration inspection

To apply for an inspection, use the form above or contact the housing enforcement team.