Every year we check the right people at every address in the borough have registered to vote.

Twitter canvassWe're currently sending an email or letter to every household, asking residents to check the information we currently hold on the electoral register remains correct, even if you have recently registered to vote, you have just moved or the property currently stands empty.

We'll be sending emails from rugby.borough.council.canvass@notifications.service.gov.uk email address. Please do not dismiss emails from this address as spam. You need to respond.

Other people in your household may also receive this email. Only one person in your household needs to respond as the security codes can only be used once. If you do not respond to the email, we'll post a paper form to you.

What do I need to do?

You need to let us know who should be registered to vote at your address.

You can quickly do this online. Just follow the instructions in the email or letter you've received. You will need your security code contained in your email or letter. Once you've logged on, you can either confirm the information on the electoral register remains correct, or update the information.

If you don’t respond promptly, we'll send out reminders and, if necessary, telephone you or visit your home to ensure the canvass can be completed.

Eligible voters who have not registered to vote need to register themselves. You can register to vote online or we can send a paper form on request.

How do I use the online system?

Visit our online Canvass portal

Enter your postcode and the unique security code from your email or letter.

Check the information for your household remains correct.

If necessary, update the information and click 'confirm' to complete your canvass response.

Do I list everyone who lives at the property?

You need to include the name and nationality of all resident householders aged 16 or over who have eligibility to vote. If no householders have eligibility to vote, you need to state the reason why.

How do I know who is eligible to vote?

You can check whether you're eligible to register to vote on the Electoral Commission website.

Visit the Electoral Commission website to check whether you're eligible to register to vote

My son/daughter lives away from home while studying at university - where should my son/daughter register to vote?

Your son/daughter can register at both the home address and university address, but must vote only once in each election. This means your son/daughter can vote in local elections at both addresses, providing each address sits within different local government boundaries, but only vote once in a Parliamentary election.

Contact details

We do not maintain the online Canvass portal website - it is maintained by Civica Electoral Services. Please let Civica know directly if you experience any technical problems with the website.

Email: CESvotes@civica.co.uk

For general enquiries about electoral registration or elections, please contact the electoral services team on (01788) 533595 or email elections@rugby.go.uk